Despite having to re-start the game when the 76ers began playing in the wrong direction, Philadelphia managed to escape tying a dubious record Wednesday, winning their first game of the NBA season 85-77 over Minnesota, putting them at 1-17.
To lose 18 would have tied the 2009-10 New Jersey Nets for the worst start to a season in league history—and would have put the 76ers well on their way to last season’s streak of 26 straight losses, a tie with the 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers.
So what other loveable losers are out there? Here are a few of more of sports’ streaks so sad, “Beck” might sing about them:
- NFL: Tampa Bay, 26 games, 1976-77
- MLB (modern day): Baltimore Orioles, 21 games, 1988
- WNBA: Tulsa Shock, 20 games, 2011
- NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins, 18, 2004 (Washington and San Jose are a close second, tied with 17)
- MLS: New York Red Bulls, 12 games, 1999
- NCAA Division I Football: (FBS) Northwestern, 34 games, 1979-82; (FCS) Prairie View A&M, 80 games,1989-98
- NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball: Towson, 41 games, 2011-12
- NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball: 58 games, Long Island, 1986-89
There, now don’t you feel better about yourself?